Statement of responsibility: James H. McMillan, Sally Schumacher
ISBN: 1292022671, 9781292022673
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
ii, 539 pages : illustrations (black and white) ; 28 cm
Education.; Education Research Evaluation.; Educational statistics.; Education Research.
- Appendix D: Glossary
- Introduction to Evidence-Based Inquiry
- Research Designs and Reading Research Reports
- Research Problems, Questions and Hypotheses
- Review of Literature
- Designing Quantitative Research: Purpose, Validity, and Ethical Considerations
- Participants, Subjects and Sampling for Quantitative Designs
- Descriptive Statistics
- Quantitative Data Collection: Technical Adequacy
- Collecting Quantitative Data
- Nonexperimental Research Designs, Surveys, and Secondary Data Analysis
- Experimental, Quasi-Experimental, and Single-Subject Designs
- Understanding and Reporting Inferential Data Analyses
- Designing Qualitative Research
- Collecting Qualitative Data
- Qualitative Data Analysis
- Mixed-Methods Designs
- Concept Analysis and Historical Research
- Evaluation Research and Policy Analysis
- Action Research
- Appendix A: Answers to Application Problems
- Appendix B: Guidelines for Writing Research Proposals
- Appendix C: Guidelines for Writing Research Reports
- Appendix E: Calculations for Selected Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
This substantially revised text provides a comprehensive, highly accessible, and student friendly introduction to the principles, concepts, and methods currently used in educational research.
This text provides a balanced combination of quantitative and qualitative methods and enables students to master skills in reading, understanding, critiquing, and conducting research. Many examples and article excerpts are used throughout the text to demonstrate and highlight best practices in educational research. Evidence-based inquiry is emphasized in two ways: (1) Introductory chapters focus on the added importance of data driven decision-making, (2) Methodological chapters provide explicit guidelines for conducting empirical studies.