Statement of responsibility: edited by Katarzyna Murawska-Muthesius and Piotr Piotrowski
ISBN: 1472422368, 9781472422354, 9781472422361
Includes bibliographical references and index.
xiv, 256 pages : illustrations
Art galleries; Art museums Social aspects.; Art museums Philosophy.; Museums
Electronic reproduction. Dawson Books. Mode of access: World Wide Web.
Also available in printed form.
- Introduction: from museum critique to the critical museum, Katarzyna Murawska-Muthesius and Piotr Piotrowski. Part I Histories: A very brief history of the art museum in the United States (focusing mainly but not exclusively on the nineteenth century), Alan Wallach
- `The contemporary museum is a laboratory of knowledge': the origins of the Museum of Contemporary Art in Russia, Andrzej Turowski
- Wilhelm R. Valentiner's Reshaping Museums in the Spirit of the New Age (1919) and its reception, Monika Flacke
- Myth and reality of the White Cube, Charlotte Klonk
- Jerzy Ludwi┼,ski's testing of the dysfunction of the museum: on the Museum of Current Art in Wroc┼,aw (1966), Magdalena Zi¾┼,kowska. Part II Tools: Objects, Space, Viewing Practices: Masterpieces and the critical museum, Katarzyna Murawska-Muthesius
- From the White Cube to a critical museography: the development of interrogative, plural and subjective museum discourses, J. Pedro Lorente
- From the inside looking out: the possibility of a critical establishment, Penelope Curtis
- Making the National Museum critical, Piotr Piotrowski
- Historical space and critical museologies: POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews, Barbara Kirshenblatt-Gimblett
- Museums that listen and care? Central Europe and critical museum discourse, Mßria Oriskovß
- Towards embodied, agonistic museum viewing practices in contemporary Manchester, England, Alpesh Kantilal Patel. Part III Critique: The context and practice of post-critical museology, Victoria Walsh
- `Is the contemporary already too late?' (Re-)producing criticality within the art museum, Jacob Birken
- Neuromuseology, John Onians. Index.