Statement of responsibility: edited by Linda M. Shires
ISBN: 041575237X, 9780415752374
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Originally published: New York: Routledge, 1992.
xiv, 196 pages : illustrations (black and white) ; 24 cm.
Routledge library editions. Women, feminism and literature ; volume 12
English literature 19th century History and criticism Theory, etc.; Literature; Politics and literature Great Britain History 19th century.; Victorian period; Sex role in literature.; Literature.; Women and literature Great Britain History 19th century.; Feminism and literature Great Britain History 19th century.
Routledge library editions. Women, feminism and literature ; volume 12.
- 1. Engendering History for the Middle Class
- Sex and Political Economy in the Edinburgh Review Judith Newton 2. From Trope to Code
- The Novel and the Rhetoric of Gender in Nineteenth-century Critical Discourse Ina Ferris 3. Demonic Mothers
- Ideologies of Bourgeois Motherhood in the Mid-Victorian Era Sally Shuttleworth 4. Water Rights and the "Crossing o' Breeds"
- Chiastic Exchange in The Mill on the Floss Jules Law 5. Tess, Tourism, and the Spectacle of the Woman Jeff Nunokawa 6. "To Tell the Truth of Sex"
- Confession and Abjection in Late Victorian Writing Marion Shaw 7. Reading the Gothic Revival: "History" and Hints on Household Taste Christina Crosby 8. Excluding Women
- The Cult of the Male Genius in Victorian Painting Susan P. Casteras 9. Of Maenads, Mothers, and Feminized Males
- Victorian Readings of the French Revolution Linda M. Shires 10. The "Female Paternalist" as Historian
- Elizabeth Gaskell's My Lady Ludlow Christine L. Krueger.
- Ideology and the Subject as Agent Linda M. Shires