Statement of responsibility: W. James Potter
ISBN: 1483379329, 9781483379326
Intended audience: Specialized.
Previous edition: 2014.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
xxiii, 546 pages : illustrations (black and white) ; 24 cm
Mass media.; Media literacy.; Media Studies.
- Why Increase Media Literacy? The Information Problem Dealing with the Information Problem The Big Question
- Media Literacy Approaches What is Media Literacy? The Three Building Blocks of Media Literacy The Definition of Media Literacy The Development of Media Literacy Advantages of Developing a Higher Degree of Media Literacy
- Audience: Individual Perspective Functioning within the Flood of Information Information Processing Tasks Analyzing the Idea of Exposure to Media Messages The Media Literacy Approach
- Audience: Industry Perspective Shift from Mass to Niche Perspective on Audience Identifying Niches Attracting Audiences Conditioning Audiences
- Children as a Special Audience Why Treat Children as a Special Audience? Special Treatment from Regulators Special Treatment from Parents Re-Examining the Case for Special Treatment Young Adults as a Special Audience
- Development of the Mass Media Industries Patterns of Development Comparisons Across Mass Media Current Picture
- Economic Perspective The Media Game of Economics Characteristics of the Game Media Industries' Strategies Consumers' Strategies
- Media Content and Reality Role of Reality in Media Content Formulas Reality Programming as a Genre The Importance of Media Literacy
- News Dynamic Nature of News Different Perspectives on News Who Qualifies as a Journalist? How Can We Make Judgments about Quality of News? How Can We Become More Media Literate with News?
- Entertainment Story Formulas Patterns Becoming Media Literate With Entertainment Messages
- Advertising Advertising Is Pervasive Process of Constructing Advertising Messages Becoming More Media Literate with Advertising
- Interactive Media Competitive Experiences Cooperative Experiences Media Literacy on Interactive Platforms
- Broadening Our Perspective on Media Effects Timing of Effects Valence of Effects Intentionality of Effects Type of Effects
- How Does the Effects Process Work? Media Effects Are Constantly Occurring Factors Influencing Media Effects Thinking about Blame Becoming More Media Literate
- Helping Yourself and Others to Increase Media Literacy Helping Yourself Helping Others
- Ownership of Media Delineating the Issue Evidence of Concentration Evidence for Harm Your Own Informed OpinionIssue
- Piracy Delineating the Issue Evidence of Piracy Addressing the Problem Your Own Informed OpinionIssue
- Sports Delineating the Issue The Money Cycle Olympics Your Own Informed OpinionIssue
- Media Violence Delineating the Issue Public's Faulty Perceptions Producers' Faulty Beliefs Media Violence and Media LiteracyIssue
- Advertising Delineating the Issue Faulty Criticisms Criticisms Based on Personal Values Criticisms about ResponsibilityIssue
- Privacy Delineating the Issue Criminal Threats to Your Privacy Non-Criminal Threats to Your Privacy Public Opinion and Regulations Your Informed Opinion