Statement of responsibility: Peter Heymans
ISBN: 0203114868, 0415507308, 9780203114865, 9780415507301
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
viii, 224 p. ; 24 cm.
Routledge studies in romanticism ; 16
English literature 19th century History and criticism.; Animals in literature.; Literature.; Romanticism Great Britain.
Routledge studies in romanticism ; 16.
- Selected Contents: Introduction: The Aesthetics of Species
- Part I
- 1. The Environmental Ethics of Alienation: The Ecological Sublime
- 2. Green Masochism: Coleridge's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
- 3. Hunting for Pleasure: Wordsworth's Ecofeminism
- Part II 4. Humans and Other Moving Things: Wordsworth Visits London (with Deleuze and Guattari)
- 5. The Cute and the Cruel: Taste, Animality and Sexual Violence in Burke and Blake
- 6. A Problem of Waste Management: Frankenstein and the Visual Order of Things
- Part III
- 7. Revelation, Reason, Ridicule: The Scientific Sublime
- 8. A Taste of God: Natural Theology and the Aesthetics of Intelligent Design
- 9. Beauty with a Past: Evolutionary Aesthetics in Erasmus Darwin's The Temple of Nature