Statement of responsibility: M.J. Grant
ISBN: 0521804582, 9780521804585
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 253-267) and index.
[viii], 272p. : ill., music ; 26 cm.
Music in the twentieth century
Music Europe Philosophy and aesthetics.; 20Th Century Music; Music Philosophy; Music History; Serialism (Music)
- Note on the text
- Part I: 1. European culture in the post-war years
- 2. The isolated tone: electronic and serial music, 1945-1954
- Part II: 3. Electronic music - 'chaos or order'?
- 4. Webern and Debussy
- Part III: 5. Serial music as an aleatoric process
- 6. 'Das Serielle'
- Part IV: 7. Music and language
- 8. Serial theory, serial practice - wherefore, and why?
- Part V: Conclusion: Dorthin?
'A welcome and important publication.' Musical Times||'A rich and fascinating book.' Music Teacher