Statement of responsibility: Susan S. Waller
ISBN: 0754634841, 9780754634843
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 153-161) and index.
xvii, 168 p. : ill., ports. ; 25 cm.
Courbet, Gustave; Artists models; Art and society France History 19th century.; Figure drawing France Paris History 19th century.; 19th century; French art; Human beings in art.; Artists' models France Paris History 19th century.; Art, French 19th century.
- Part I Professional poseurs: The model in acad?mies
- Models in the ?cole des Beaux-Arts
- The stereotypical mod?le
- Negotiating the stereotype
- Part II The vulgar model: The unmodest model
- The mod?le (lorette)
- From the streets to the Salon
- Courbet's The Studio of the Painter
- Part III Ethnicites and modernities: The Jewish community in Paris
- The mod?le (juive)
- The mod?le (italienne) in the academic tradition
- Mod?les (italiennes) in Rome
- Mod?les (italiennes) in Abruzzi
- Mod?les (italiennes) in Paris
- Select bibliography