Statement of responsibility: edited by Rodney Palmer and Thomas Frangenberg
ISBN: 0754605590, 9780754605591
Intended audience: Specialized.
256 p. : ill., facsims., plan, ports. ; 24 cm.
Renaissance art; Illustrated books History.; Italian art; Book illustration; Illustration of books History.
- Introduction, Rodney Palmer
- 17th-century illustrations for the chapters on motion in Leonardo's Trattato, Juliana Barone
- 'The outer man tends to be a guide to the inner': the woodcut portraits in Vasari's Lives as parallel texts, Sharon Gregory
- 'Of little or even no importance to the architect': on absent ideals in Serlio's drawings in the sixth book on domestic architecture, Vaughan Hart
- 'Brevity without obscurity': text and image in the architectural treatises of Daniele Barbaro and Andrea Palladio, Robert Tavernor
- 'The beauty and majesty of images': Pietro da Cortona's Barberini Ceiling in Teti's Aedes Barberinae, Thomas Frangenberg
- 'All is very plain, upon inspection of the figure': the visual method of Andrea Pozzo's Perspectiva Pictorum et Architectorum, Rodney Palmer
- Photography in 19th-century art publications, Anthony Hamber
- 'Still a makeshift'?: Changing representations of the Renaissance in 20th-century art books, Valerie Holman