Statement of responsibility: Julie Sanders
ISBN: 0415311713, 0415311721, 9780415311717, 9780415311724
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 165-178) and index.
[xi], 184 p. ; 21 cm.
The new critical idiom
Film adaptations; Literature Adaptations.; Critical theory; Television adaptations
- Part 1: Defining Terms
- 1. What is adaptation?
- 2. What is appropriation
- Part 2: Literary Archetypes
- 3. 'Here's a strange alteration': Shakespearean Appropriations
- 4. 'It's an old story': Myth and Metamorphosis
- Modern metamorphoses
- Orphic narratives
- 5. 'Other Versions' of Fairy Tale and Folklore
- Part 3: Alternative Perspectives
- 6. Constructing Alternative Points of View
- 7. 'We "Other Victorians" '; or, Rethinking the Nineteenth Century
- 8. Stretching History; or, Appropriating the Facts
- 9. Appropriating the Arts and Sciences