Statement of responsibility: David L. Smith and Patrick Little
ISBN: 0521838673, 9780521838672
Intended audience: Specialized.
Cambridge studies in early modern British history
Great Britain History Commonwealth and Protectorate, 1649-1660.; Protectorate; Cromwell, Richard, 1626-1712.; Cromwell, Oliver, 1599-1658.; Great Britain. Parliament History 17th century.; Great Britain Politics and government 1649-1660.
- Introduction: historiography and sources
- Parliament and the paper constitutions
- Factional politics and parliamentary management
- Oliver Cromwell and Parliaments
- Richard Cromwell and Parliaments
- Law reform, judicature and the Other House
- Religious reform
- Representation and taxation in England and Wales
- Parliament and foreign policy
- Irish and Scottish affairs
- Conclusion; Appendix
- Members excluded from the Second Protectorate Parliament; Appendix
- The Remonstrance of
- February 1657.
Review of the hardback: 'The authors offer clear, crisp and fresh images of the parliaments, built upon detailed analysis and impressive new research ... This excellent volume marks a huge step forward in placing them more firmly and more positively on the historical map.' BBC History Magazine