Statement of responsibility: Fred Botting
ISBN: 0415450896, 041545090X, 9780415450898, 9780415450904
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 207-219) and index.
[vii], 223 p. ; 22 cm.
Popular culture and literature.; Science in literature.; Science fiction, English History and criticism.; Romanticism.; Science fiction, American History and criticism.; Horror in literature.; Love stories, American History and criticism.; Gothic fiction (Literary genre) History and criticism.; Love in literature.; Criticism; Love stories, English History and criticism.; Gothic literature
- Introduction: From Gothic to Romance
- 1. Romance, Ruins and the Thing: from the romantic sublime to cybergothic
- 2. Romance Consumed: death, simulation and the vampire
- 3. Poor Things as They Are: Political Romance from Gray to Godwin
- 4. Flight of the Heroine: from Female Gothic to Postfeminism
- 5. Monsters of the Imagination: Science, Fiction, Romance
- 6. Resistance is Futile: Romance and the Machine