Statement of responsibility: edited by David W. Bernstein ; foreword by John Rockwell ; preface by Johannes Goebel
ISBN: 0520248929, 0520256174, 9780520248922, 9780520256170
Intended audience: Specialized.
DVD in back pocket.
Published in association with the Experimental Media and Perfoming Arts Centre, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 303-307).
Discography: (p. 283-287).
xiii, 322 p.,  p. of plates (1 folded) : ill. (some col.), ports. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
A Roth Family Foundation music in America book
Electronic music History and criticism.; Avant garde; San Francisco Tape Music Center History.; Avant-garde (Music) United States.; 20th Century music; American music; 1960s; Experimental music
- Foreword, by John Rockwell
- Then, Now, and Then Again (A Preface), by Johannes Goebel
- Introduction, by David W. Bernstein
- The SFTMC: Emerging Art Forms and the American Counterculture, by David W. Bernstein
- The SFTMC: A Report, by Ramon Sender
- Overview of the Tape Music Center's Goals, by Ramon Sender
- Ramon Sender and William Maginnis, interviewed by David W. Bernstein and Maggi Payne
- Memoir of a Community Enterprise, by Pauline Oliveros
- Pauline Oliveros, interviewed by David W. Bernstein and Maggi Payne
- Music as Studio Art, by Morton Subotnick
- Morton Subotnick, interviewed by David W. Bernstein and Maggi Payne
- Composing with Light, by Tony Martin
- Tony Martin, interviewed by David W. Bernstein and Maggi Payne
- Don Buchla, interviewed by David W.Bernstein and Maggi Payne
- Michael Callahan, interviewed by Thomas M. Welsh
- The Great Grand Kludge! by William Maginnis
- Terry Riley, interviewed by David W. Bernstein and Maggi Payne
- Anna Halprin, interviewed by David W. Bernstein
- Stewart Brand, interviewed by David W. Bernstein
- Stuart Dempster, interviewed by Thomas M. Welsh
- Chronology, by Thomas M. Welsh
- Archival Recordings
- DVD Program Notes
- List of Illustrations