Statement of responsibility: Patrick Little
ISBN: 0230574203, 0230574211, 9780230574205, 9780230574212
Intended audience: Specialized.
256 p. ; 22 cm.
Generals Great Britain Biography.; Cromwell, Oliver, 1599-1658.; Great Britain History Commonwealth and Protectorate, 1649-1660.; Cromwell, Oliver; Heads of state Great Britain Biography.; Great Britain History Puritan Revolution, 1642-1660.
- 1636: The Unmaking of Oliver Cromwell?; S.Healy
- 'One That Would Sit Well At the Mark: The Early Parliamentary Career of Oliver Cromwell; S.K.Roberts
- 'Lord of the Fens': Oliver Cromwell's Reputation and the First Civil War; S.L.Sadler
- 'A Despicable Contemptible Generation of Men'?: Cromwell and The Levellers; P.Baker
- Cromwell in Ireland Before 1649; P.Little
- Oliver Cromwell and the Solemn League and Covenant of the Three Kingdoms; K.MacKenzie
- Oliver Cromwell (alias William) and Wales; L.Bowen
- The Lord Protector's Servants and Courtiers; A.Barclay
- John Thurloe and the Offer of the Crown to Cromwell; P.Little
- 'Fit for Public Services'; The Upbringing of Richard Cromwell; J.Peacey
'This is a collection of essays that are startlingly fresh in their judgements: it presents a whole series of challenges to the entrenched view of Cromwell as a man driven by religious zeal and little else.' - John Morrill FBA, Professor of British and Irish History, University of Cambridge
'This book...contains many useful insights into his [Cromwell's] character and how contemporaries saw him.' - Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research