Statement of responsibility: Christine Geraghty
ISBN: 0415171571, 041517158X, 9780415171571, 9780415171588
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
256p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
British film; Motion pictures Social aspects Great Britain.; 1950s; Motion pictures Great Britain History.
- Acknowledgements Preface 1. The Experience of Picturegoing
- Cinema as a Social Space 2. Modernity, the Modern and Fifties Britain 3. Rural Rebels and the Landscape of Opposition 4. Resisting Modernity
- Comedies of Bureaucracy and Expertise 5. The Post-War Settlement and Women's Choices
- Melodrama and Realism in Ealing Drama 6. European Relations
- Sex, Politics and the European Woman 7. The Commonwealth Film and the Liberal Dilemma 8. Reconstituting the Family: 'It's for Children that I'm Worried.' 9. Femininity in the Fifties
- The New Woman and the Problem of the Female Star 10. The Fifties War Film
- Creating Space for the Triumph of Masculinity
'In this serious but approachable tome, Christine Geraghty examines not only the industry's output, but also what it was like to visit the pictures in the middle of the last century.'- Film Review