Statement of responsibility: Elizabeth Heale
ISBN: 0333773977, 9780333773970
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 193-201) and index.
viii, 206 p. ; 23 cm.
Early modern literature in history
English poetry; Self in literature.; English poetry Early modern, 1500-1700 History and criticism.; Renaissance
- Introduction 'To Mak My Self to be Known of Many'
- Miscellanies and the Well-Formed Gentleman The 'Outward Marks' and the 'Inward Man
- Thomas Whythorne's Songs and Sonnets Narratives of Experience Spenser as Orpheus Passionate Ejaculations and the Poetics of Presence
- Gascoigne's The Adventures of Master F.J. and Sidney's Astrophil and Stella 'My Name is Will'
- Shakespeare's Sonnets Bibliography
'Solidly researched and carefully prepared, this study will serve those interested in early modern literary production, history, and culture.' - C.S. Cox, Choice