Statement of responsibility: edited by Corinne Saunders, Ulrika Maude and Jane Macnaughton
ISBN: 0230552048, 9780230552043
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
xv, 292 p. : ill., ports. ; 23 cm.
Anatomy, Artistic.; Human body Symbolic aspects.; Human body Social aspects.; English literature History and criticism.; Human body in literature.; Human body; Human body (Philosophy); Medicine and art.; Human figure in art.; Human body Religious aspects.; Literature and medicine.
- Contents List of Illustrations Acknowledgements Notes on Contributors Introduction
- C.Saunders, U.Maude and J.Macnaughton PART I: THINKING THE BODY Polyclitus among the Philosophers: Canons of Classical Beauty
- G.Boys-Stones Body as Graced or Vile: Tensions in the Christian Vision
- D.Brown The Smoke of the Soul: Anatomy, Medical Spirits and the Rete Mirabile: 1538-1643
- R.Sugg The Fizziness Business
- S.Connor Flesh Revealed: Medicine, Art and Anatomy
- J.Macnaughton PART II: WRITING THE BODY The Affective Body: Love, Virtue and Vision in English Medieval Literature
- C.Saunders Victorian Literature and Bringing the Body Back from the Dead
- F.O'Gorman Modernist Bodies: Coming to Our Senses; U.Maude Writing the Body: Modernism and Postmodernism; P.Waugh Detective Fiction and the Body; P.D.James (in conversation with C.Saunders) PART III: VIEWING THE BODY Pygmalion, Painted Flesh, and the Female Body
- M.Postle Satyrs, Harpies, Jellyfish, and Mutants: Ovidian Metamorphosis in Contemporary Art
- M.Warner Body, Space, Time
- A.Gormley Une écriture corporelle: The Dancer in the Text of Mallarmé and Yeats
- S.Jones The Erotic and the Sacred Body in Opera: the Venusberg to Monsalvat - and beyond; D.Fuller Celluloid Formaldehyde? The Body on Film
- J.Buchanan Index