Statement of responsibility: Terry Smith
ISBN: 0226764303, 0226764311, 9780226764306, 9780226764313
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
xiv, 329 p. : ill., ports. ; 23 cm.
Aesthetics, Modern 21st century.; Saatchi, Charles; Modern art; Art, Modern 21st century History and criticism.; Museums; Art galleries; Tate Modern
- List of Illustrations
- Preface and Acknowledgments
- Contemporary Art Inside Out
- Part I Museums: Modern / Contemporary
- 1 Remodernizing Manhattan
- 2 Sublime-on-Hudson: Dia: Beacon Now
- 3 Sensation = Saatchi
- 4 Contemporizing the Tate Modern
- Part II Spectacles: Architecture / Sculpture
- 5 The Experience Museum: Bilbao and Beyond
- 6 The Intensity Exhibit: Barneyworld at McGuggenheim
- Part III Markets: Global / Local
- 7 Going Global: Selling Contemporary Art
- 8 From the Desert to the Fair
- Part IV Countercurrents: South / North
- 9 The Postcolonial Turn
- 10 Our Otherness: The Beauty of the Animal
- Part V Contemporaneity: Times / Places
- 11 Taking Time . . .
- 12 Art, Truth, and Politics
- Part VI. An Art Historical Hypothesis
- 13 What Is Contemporary Art?