Statement of responsibility: edited by Mike Sell
ISBN: 0230241344, 9780230241343
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
xi, 228 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Experimental theater.; Avant-garde (Aesthetics); Avant garde; Performing arts; Experimental drama History and criticism.; Performing arts.; Performing Arts.; Experimental theatre; Dance
- M.Sell PART I: INTERSECTIONS Introduction
- J.Harding From Italy and Russia to France and the U.S.: 'Fascist' Futurism and Balanchine's 'American' Ballet
- P.Gaborik & A.Harris Confessions of a Failed Theatre Activist: Intercultural Encounters in Uganda and Rwanda
- L.Edmondson The Living Theatre's Arrested Development in Brazil: An Intersection of Activist Performances
- C.Rosenthal PART II: TRANSLATIONS Introduction
- J.Graham-Jones 'Powerful Disseminator of Radical Thought': Anarchism and the Introduction of Modern Western Theatre to China
- S.Liu Translation, Typography, and the Avant-Garde's Impossible Text
- S.Bay-Cheng Maoist Performatives: Milton Acorn and the Canadian Liberation Movement
- A.Filewod PART III: DIVERGENCES Introduction
- A.Filewod Avant-Garde Becomes Nationalism: Immortalizing Nam June Paik in South Korea
- E.Kim Lee The Avant-Garde and the Arab World
- M.Sell The Avant-Garde of Necessity: The Protest Theatre Movement in Zimbabwe
- P.Zenenga Punk Attitude: The Influence of the Avant-Garde and the Case of Ian Stuart Donaldson
- G.White Afterword The Avant-Garde and Vector Studies: A Roundtable Index