Statement of responsibility: Leah S. Marcus
ISBN: 0226504522, 9780226504520
Intended audience: Specialized.
Originally published: 1989.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
ix, 319p. ; 23 cm.
Literature and society England History 17th century.; Manners and customs in literature.; Festivals England.; Holidays in literature.; English literature Early modern, 1500-1700 History and criticism.; Milton, John; 17Th Century; Great Britain Politics and government 1603-1649.; Herrick, Robert; Marvell, Andrew; England Social life and customs 17th century.; Jonson, Ben; Criticism; English Literature
- I. Introduction: The Politics of Mirth
- II. Pastimes and the Purging of Theater: Ben Jonson's Love Restored and Bartholomew Fair
- III. The Court Restored to the Country: The Vision of Delight, Christmas His Masque, and The Devil Is an Ass
- IV. Pleasure and Virtue Reconciled: Jonson's Celebration of the Book of Sports, 11618 and 1633
- V. Churchman among the Maypoles: Herrick and the Hesperides
- VI. Milton's Anti-Laudian Masque
- VII. Pastimes without a Court: Richard Lovelace and Andrew Marvell
- List of Abbreviations