Statement of responsibility: edited by Colette Colligan and Margaret Linley
ISBN: 1409400093, 9781409400097
Intended audience: Specialized.
275 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
The nineteenth century series
Literature.; Technology; Mass media in literature.; Mass media; English literature 19th century History and criticism.; Mass media and literature Great Britain History 19th century.; English literature; 19th Century; Literature and technology Great Britain History 19th century.; Technology in literature.
Nineteenth century series.
- Introduction: the 19th-century invention of media, Colette Colligan and Margaret Linley
- Part I Image: The Wordsworths' daffodils: on the page, upon the inward eye, in their media ecology, Richard Menke
- 'So that the sense of touch may supply the want of sight': blind reading and 19th-century British print culture, Vanessa Warne
- A literature of its own: time, space, and narrative mediations in Victorian photography, Daniel A. Novak
- Kaleidoscopic vision in late Victorian Bohemia: George Sims's Social Kaleidoscope, Helen Groth.
- Part II Sound: A modern poetry of sensation: three Christmas gift books and the legacy of Victorian material culture, Lorraine Janzen Kooistra
- Visible sound and auditory scenes: word, image, and music in Tennyson, D.G. Rossetti amd Morris, Linda Hughes
- Piano, telegraph, typewriter: listening to the language of touch, Ivan Raykoff.
- Part III Touch: Tactile modernity: on the rationalization of touch in the 19th century, David P. Parisi
- Teleny, the secret touch, and the media geography of the clandestine book trade (1880-1900), Colette Colligan
- Touching at a distance: telegraphy, gender, and Henry James's In the Cage, Christopher Keep
- Frankenstein revisited: life and afterlife around 1831, Margaret Linley