Statement of responsibility: edited by Robyn Adams, Rosanna Cox
ISBN: 0230239765, 9780230239760
Intended audience: Specialized.
Early modern literature in history
Espionage; Diplomacy; Politics and Government.; Secret service; Diplomacy History 17th century.; Diplomacy History 16th century.
Early modern literature in history.
- L.Jardine Introduction
- R.Adams & R.Cox 'Procure as many as you can and send them over': Cartographic Espionage and Cartographic Gifts in International Relations 1460-1760
- P.Barber Scholars, Servants, Spies: William Weldon and William Swerder in England and Abroad
- J.Powell Some Elizabethan Spies in the Office of Sir Francis Walsingham
- S.Alford A Most Secret Service: William Herle and the Circulation of Intelligence
- R.Adams Sidney, Gentili, and the Poetics of Embassy
- J.Craigwood Gender, Politics and Diplomacy: Women, News and Intelligence Networks in Elizabethan England
- J.Daybell Francis Bacon's Bi-literal Cipher and the Materiality of Early Modern Diplomatic Writing
- A.Stewart Court Hieroglyphics: The Idea of the Cipher in Ben Jonson's Masques
- H.J.Crawforth The Ambassador's Household: Sir Henry Wotton, Domesticity, and Diplomatic Writing
- M.Netzloff The Postmistress, The Diplomat, and a Black Chamber?: Alexandrine of Taxis, Sir Balthazar Gerbier and the Power of Postal Control
- N.Akkerman Index
"These subjects are impressively diverse...It is exciting that the history of diplomacy is being revisited in such new and
inventive ways." - Renaissance Quarterly