Statement of responsibility: edited by Adam Budd
ISBN: 075466306X, 9780754663065
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
300 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Medicine in literature.; Armstrong, John, 1709-1779. Art of preserving health.; Reason in literature.; Health Poetry.; Literature and medicine Great Britain History 18th century.; Literature.; Scotland; Medical education Scotland History 18th century.; Poetry; 18th Century; Literature
- General introduction: sensibility in practice: Dr John Armstrong's The Art of Preserving Health
- Part I The Critical Text: The Art of Preserving Health. Part II Contextual Documents: Poetry: The plague of Athens from the Latin of Lucretius, 1682, Thomas Creech
- A nocturnal reverie, 1713, [Anne Finch];A hymn on solitude, 1748, James Thomson
- 'Preface', Winter. A poem, 1726, James Thomson
- Night the first, 1742, Edward Young
- The pleasures of melancholy. A poem,1747, [Thomas Warton]. Theory of the Georgic: An essay on the Georgics, 1697, Joseph Addison
- Virgil, The Georgicks, trans. 1741, John Martin
- Of didactic or perceptive poetry, 1711, Joseph Trapp. Medical Documents: The plague at Marseilles consider'd, 1720, Richard Bradley
- An essay of health and long life, 1724, George Cheyne
- A letter to George Cheyne,1724, [Anonymous]
- The ill state of physicke in Great Britain, 1727, [John Tristram]
- 'Preface', A Full View of All the Diseases Incident to Children, 1742, John Armstrong