Statement of responsibility: Hilary Grimes
ISBN: 140942720X, 9781409427209
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
[vii], 188 p. ; 24 cm.
Gothic revival (Literature) Great Britain.; Gothic literature; 19th Century; Literature.; Authorship Social aspects Great Britain History 19th century.; Gothic fiction (Literary genre), American History and criticism.; Gothic fiction (Literary genre), English History and criticism.; Literature and society Great Britain History 19th century.; Criticism; Literature and technology Great Britain History 19th century.; Victorian period
- (Ghost)writing Henry James: mental science, spiritualism and uncanny technologies of writing at the fin de si?cle
- Sensitive to the invisible: photography and the supernatural in the Holmes stories, Arthur Conan Doyle's spiritualism and Francis Galton's composite portraits
- Identities and powers in flux: mesmerism, hypnotism and George Du Maurier's Trilby
- Ghostwomen, ghostwriting
- Case study: Vernon Lee, aesthetics and the supernatural
- Balancing on supernatural wires: the figure of the new woman writer in Sarah Grand's The Beth Book and George Paston's A Writer of Books