Statement of responsibility: Laurie Shannon
ISBN: 0226749665, 0226749673, 9780226749662, 9780226749679
Intended audience: Specialized.
232p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 Views on friendship.; Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 Knowledge Manners and customs.; Shakespeare, William; Friendship in literature.; Kings and rulers in literature.; English literature
- List of Illustrations
- Prologue: "Soveraigne Amitie"
- PART ONE: THE SOVEREIGN SUBJECT
- 1. The Early Modern Politics of Likeness
- Sovereign Reader-Subjects and Listening Kings
- 2. Chaste Associations in Cary’s Tragedy of Mariam
- Sexual Mixtures, Same-Sex Friendship, and the Genders of Integrity
- 3. Professing Friendship
- Erotic Prerogatives and "Human Title" in The Two Noble Kinsmen
- PART TWO: THE SUBJECTED SOVEREIGN
- 4. Ungoverned States
- Friendship, Mignonnerie, and the Private Monarch
- 5. The False Prince and the True Subject
- Friendship and Public Institutions in Edward II and The Henriad
- 6. Friendship’s Offices
- True Speech and Artificial Bodies in The Winter’s Tale
- Epilogue: Magna Civitas, Magna Solitudo
- Bureaucratic Forms and Civic Conditions