Statement of responsibility: edited by Paula Cowan and Henry Maitles
ISBN: 1441124845, 1441136304, 1441136932, 9781441124845, 9781441136305, 9781441136930
Intended audience: Specialized.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
xv, 239 p. : 1 ill. ; 25 cm.
Secondary education; High school teaching.; Citizenship; Education.; Primary education; Elementary school teaching.
- Acknowledgements \ List of Contributors \ Preface and Framework Paula Cowan and Henry Maitles \
- Part I
- The Context
- \ 1. Democracy, Trust and Respect Walter Humes \ 2. Gangs and Territorialism Ross Deuchar \ 3. The Citizenship Agenda Alistair Ross \ 4. Global Citizenship Frances Simpson \
- Part II
- War and Peace
- \ 5. Discussing War in the Classroom Henry Maitles \ 6. Teaching for Inclusive Citizenship, Peace and Human Rights Audrey Osler \ 7. Nuclear War Education Neil McLennan \
- Part III
- \ 8. The Unique and Universal Aspects of Modern Genocide Stephen D. Smith \ 9. Teaching About Genocide Ian Davies \ 10. Pedagogical Issues in Teaching the Holocaust Henry Maitles and Paula Cowan \ 11. Teaching the Holocaust in the Multicultural Classroom Geoffrey Short \ 12. Visiting Auschwitz-Valuable Lessons or Holocaust Tourism? Paula Cowan \ 13. Why Study Rwanda When We Have Already Learned About The Holocaust? Andy Lawrence \
- Part IV
- Racism and Discrimination
- \ 14. Islamophobia Geri Smyth \ 15. Homophobia Barry van Driel and Michele Kahn \ 16. Anti-Semitism Paula Cowan \ 17. Gypsy and Roma Families Martin Myers \ 18. Migration Jill Rutter \ Conclusion and Policy Implications
- Henry Maitles and Paula Cowan \ Index