Statement of responsibility: Joseph Carroll
ISBN: 0203505271, 9780203505274, 9780415970143
Includes bibliographical references and index.
xxvii, 276 p. : ill.
Literary criticism; Darwin, Charles; Darwin, Charles, 1809-1882 Influence.; English fiction 19th century History and criticism.; Adaptation (Biology); Literature History and criticism Theory, etc.; Nature in literature.; Evolution (Biology) in literature.; Human beings in literature.; Science; Social darwinism in literature.; Literature and science Great Britain.; English fiction 20th century History and criticism.
Electronic reproduction. Dawson Books. Mode of access: World Wide Web.
Also available in printed form.
- ILiterary Darwinism
- Part I: Mapping the Disciplinary Landscape
- 1 The Use of Arnold in a Darwinian World
- 2 Biology and Poststructuralism
- 3 "Theory," Anit-Theory, and Empirical Criticism
- 4 Out of Eden and to the Left
- A Review of John Ellis's Literature Lost: Social Agendas and the Corruption of the Humanities
- 5 Literary Study and Evolutionary Theory
- A Review of Books by Alexander Argyros, Walter Koch, Karl Kroeber, Robert Storey, Frederick Turner, and Mark Turner
- 6 Pinker, Dickens, and the Functions of Literature
- 7 Wilson's Consilience and Literary Study
- 8 Ecocriticism, Cognitive Ethology, and the Environments of Victorian Fiction
- Part 2: Adaptionist Literary Studies: Theory and Practical Criticism
- 1 The Deep Structure of Literary Representations
- 2 Universals in Literary Study
- 3 Human Universals and Literary Meaning
- A Sociobiological Critique of Pride and Prejudice, Villette, O Pioneers!, Anna of the Five Towns, and Tess of the d'Ubervilles
- 4 Organism, Environment, and Literature
- 5 Adaptionist Criteria of Literary Value: Assessing Kurten's Dance of the Tiger, Auel's The Clan of the Cave Bear, and Golding's The Inheritors
- 6 Human Nature and Literary Meaning
- A Theoretical Model Illustrated with a Critique of Pride and Prejudice
- Part 3: Darwin and Darwinism
- 1 The Origin of Charles Darwin
- A Review of Three Darwin Biographies
- 2 Modern Darwinism and the Pseudo-Revolutions of Stephen Jay Gould